Pain Management for Older Babies
Older babies feel pain just like older children and adults. Unfortunately, a study published by the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that many parents under treat their child’s pain following procedures like tonsillectomies and circumcisions.
In our practice, pain control is our first priority for ALL patients. To help your child manage discomfort and pain following the procedure, we choose between several options, depending on your babies age and weight:
- Both acetaminophen (Tylenol®) and ibuprofen (Motrin®) can provide relief from mild to moderate pain. They may be taken alone or you may alternate the two types of medications as per your doctors instructions.
Notify our office if:
- Temperature is greater than 101F
- Your child refuses to eat
- He has difficulty urinating
- There is uncontrollable bleeding
- Thick, yellow discharge with swelling is present